Lyle's Classic Pancakes
- 110g (4oz) plain flour
- 275ml (10floz) full fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus butter for frying
- Lyle's Golden Syrup, to serve
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges, optional
Just a few quick steps to breakfast magic, Lyle's style:
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre - then pour the milk, whole egg, egg yolk and oil in a jug and lightly beat together. Gradually add it to the well, whisking all the while, and drawing in the flour slowly until you have a smooth batter. Pour back into the jug.
- Cook the pancakes with a non-stick 18cm (7”) pan. Pop it on a medium-high heat until it produces a slight haze. Melt in a little butter then pour in about 2 tablespoons of batter, evenly coating the pan.
- Fry for about 20-30 seconds - you want the liquid batter to set, giving a golden brown pancake. Loosen the edges,then give the pan a little shake. Now flip the pancake, and cook for a further 20 seconds.
- Fold the pancakes loosely onto a plate, drizzle with Lyle's Golden Syrup.
- Want to make them ahead of time? Stack pancakes between small squares of parchment paper as you make them, and leave to cool. Reheat briefly in a non-stick pan set over a moderate heat for a few seconds.
Gorgeous any time of the day - and for a spot of extra zest, serve with lemon wedges for a citrus kick.