For the cookies
- 1 cup (110g) gluten-free oat flour – make your own by blending oats into a fine flour in your food processor/blender 1 cup (110g) gluten-free oat flour – make your own by blending oats into a fine flour in your food processor/blender
- ¾ cup (135g) gluten-free plain flour ¾ cup (135g) gluten-free plain flour
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) Lyle’s Golden Syrup ¼ cup (4 tbsp) Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) brown sugar ¼ cup (4 tbsp) brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) coconut oil or dairy-free spread, melted ¼ cup (4 tbsp) coconut oil or dairy-free spread, melted
- 3 tbsp dairy-free milk of choice 3 tbsp dairy-free milk of choice
For the decorations
- 200g dark chocolate 200g dark chocolate
- Royal icing for piping Royal icing for piping
- Edible eyeballs Edible eyeballs
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oat flour, GF flour, sugar, ginger, baking powder and salt.
3. Pour in the melted coconut oil, Lyle’s Golden Syrup and milk. Mix to combine.
4. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes to make the dough easier to roll out.
5. Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use a round cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
6. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes. I like mine super crunchy so I left mine in for 20 minutes. Bear in mind the baking time will also depend on the size of your cookies.
7. Leave to cool completely.
8. Dip each cookie in melted chocolate, then arrange on a baking sheet and allow to chill in the fridge until the chocolate sets.
9. Add shop-bought or homemade icing to a piping bag and begin to decorate using a zig-zag pattern across the cookies. Add a small dot of icing on each of the edible eyes and press down onto the cookies. Allow to dry for 2 hours.
Check out the baker
This recipe was created by the wonderful baker Nadia. You can find more of her healthy recipes here: https://nadiashealthykitchen.com/