Lyle's Victoria Sandwich Smile
FOR THE CAKE
- 275g (10oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 125g (4½oz) Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 275g (10oz) self-raising flour
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp milk
FOR THE FILLING & DECORATION
- 175ml (6floz) double cream, lightly whipped
- 5 rounded tbsp raspberry jam
- Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing Sugar
Bake up a little light sponge happiness:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/150° Fan, 325°F, Gas 3 while you whisk the butter along with the Lyle's Golden Syrup and Golden Caster Sugar until soft and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs a little at a time (make sure each batch is well combined before adding more).
- Sift over the flour and baking powder; lightly and quickly fold it in with a large metal spoon and then add the milk to make a soft consistency (so it easily drops from the spoon).
- Spoon the mixture into two 20cm (8”) sandwich tins (greased and lined with parchment paper). It should come to about 1cm (½”) from the top and level out.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 30-35 minutes until gorgeously golden brown, well risen and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Leave for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sandwich the two halves of the cake together, first with the jam; second, the whipped cream and arrange on a plate - then just dust with a little Icing Sugar and you're ready to serve.
Your only challenge now? Eating it without getting icing on your nose .