Oat Drop Scones with Strawberries
6-8 (2-3 pancakes per person)
- 150g rolled oats
- 400ml natural yoghurt
- 75g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 50ml milk
- A little butter or vegetable oil for frying
- 8 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 300-400g strawberries hulled and halved
- Lyle's Golden Syrup
1. Mix the oats with the yoghurt and leave to soak overnight or for at least a few hours.
2. Stir the flour and the bicarbonate of soda into the oat & yoghurt mixture and mix thoroughly until evenly combined. Add in Lyle's Golden Syrup followed by the egg. Gradually add milk to the batter to achieve a mixture that has a consistency similar to double cream.
3. Grease a large heavy-based frying pan or griddle pan with a little butter. Place over medium to low heat.
4. As soon as the pan is hot, pour spoonfuls of the batter into the pan, forming discs around the size of a digestive biscuit. Make sure to leave enough space in between. After 2 to 3 minutes, bubbles should start appearing onto the surface and the edges should start drying out. Flip them over and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Once cooked, transfer to a warm plate and cover with a clean tea towel, keeping them warm whilst you cook the rest. Grease the pan if necessary in between batches and if browning too quickly, adjust the heat accordingly.
6. Serve hot, topped with the yoghurt, strawberries and a drizzle of Lyle's Golden Syrup.
Don't cook them at too high a heat, in order to ensure even cooking of the pancakes.