For the sponge
- 250 g unsalted butter, softened 250 g unsalted butter, softened
- 125 g caster sugar 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g Lyle’s Golden Syrup 125 g Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 medium eggs, room temperature 5 medium eggs, room temperature
- 300 g plain flour or gluten free flour blend 300 g plain flour or gluten free flour blend
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum (optional, if using gluten free flour) ¾ tsp xanthan gum (optional, if using gluten free flour)
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt Pinch of salt
- 200 ml warm milk 200 ml warm milk
For the icing
- 250 g dark chocolate 250 g dark chocolate
- 15 g unsalted butter 15 g unsalted butter
- 125 g icing sugar 125 g icing sugar
- 45 g Lyle’s Golden Syrup 45 g Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 15 g cocoa powder 15 g cocoa powder
- 120 ml milk 120 ml milk
- Dark chocolate sprinkles Dark chocolate sprinkles
- Green and orange sugar sprinkles Green and orange sugar sprinkles
- Edible candy eyes Edible candy eyes
How to make this recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ºC/160 ºC fan/Gas 4/355 ºF and line an 8x8 inch (20x20 cm) square baking tin with baking paper.
2. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer with the double beater attachments, cream the butter, sugar, Lyle’s Golden Syrup and vanilla extract together until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Sift together the flour, xanthan gum (optional), baking powder and salt.
5. Add one-third of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix to combine. Add half the milk and mix to combine. Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients and milk, finishing with the addition of dry ingredients. Mix well until you get a smooth cake batter with no flour clumps.
6. Transfer the batter into the lined baking tin and bake at 180 ºC/160 ºC fan/Gas 4/355 ºF for about 1 hour or until risen, golden brown on top and around the edges, and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If the top starts browning too quickly, cover with aluminium foil (shiny side up) and continue baking until done.
7. Once baked, cool in the baking tin for about 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
Combine all icing ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat with constant stirring until the chocolate has melted and you get a smooth, glossy chocolate icing.
1. Cut the cooled sponge into 16 equal squares.
2. Dip each square into the icing, allow any excess to drip away and roll it in sprinkles of choice.
3. Finish with edible candy eyes.
4. Allow the icing to set at room temperature for about 2 hours, or in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!