Lyle's Sweet Potato and Halloumi Skewers
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 x 250g packs Halloumi cheese, cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp Lyle’s Black Treacle
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 4tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO AND HALLOUMI KEBABS
Follow this simple 4 step recipe to make your own delicious sweet potato, halloumi, and pepper skewers.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6. Put the sweet potato chunks into a roasting dish with the olive oil, tossing to coat. Roast for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until just tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooling, make the glaze by mixing together the Lyle’s Black Treacle with the lime zest and juice, olive oil and chilli flakes. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Thread the sweet potato chunks onto the skewers along with the Halloumi cheese and peppers.
- Preheat the barbecue or grill. Brush some of the glaze over the skewers, then cook them for 4-5 minutes. Cook until the cheese and peppers are slightly charred, brushing occasionally with the glaze.
- Feel free to pad out your kebabs by adding other veg on the skewers if you like. Why not try adding mushrooms, onions, cherry tomatoes, or chunks of courgette?
- For meat-eaters, you can ramp up these kebabs by adding some smoky bacon, or other types of meat.
- Be careful when cooking the halloumi, there’s a short window between them being slightly charred and burnt!
- Be sure to buy enough skewers when prepping for this meal. Regardless of whether you opt for wooden or metal skewers, we recommend soaking them in water for about 20 minutes before you use them.