Lyle's Chocolatey Fudge Cake
FOR THE CAKE
- 75g (3oz) cocoa
- 9 tbsp boiling water
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 110g (4oz) Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 315g (11oz) Tate & Lyle's Golden Caster Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 75ml (3 floz) milk
- 250g (9oz) plain flour, sifted
- 1 ½ rounded tsp baking powder
FOR THE FILLING, ICING & DECORATION
- 150g (5oz) dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids, broken into pieces
- 150ml (5 floz) double cream
- 1 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 8 chocolates
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°Fan/Gas 4.
- In a large bowl mix the cocoa and water together with a wooden spoon until smooth, then add the butter, Lyle’s Golden Syrup, Lyle’s Golden Caster sugar, eggs and milk. Mix again, then sift over the flour and baking powder to make a thick batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tins and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30 minutes or until risen and a fine skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cakes.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and discard the parchment.
- For the filling and icing, combine the chocolate, cream and golden syrup in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water until melted, for about 5 minutes. Stir constantly, then remove from the heat and leave to cool and thicken to a spreading consistency.
- Sandwich the cakes together with about half of the chocolate cream, arrange on a plate, then use a palette knife to spread the rest decoratively over the top. Decorate with the chocolates and serve.