Lyle's Babycino Cupcakes
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 level tsp instant coffee
- 110g unsalted butter, cubed, softened
- 25g Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 125g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 125g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
FOR THE TOPPING
- 3 level tsp of instant coffee
- 2 tbsp of boiling water
- 4 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 310ml double cream
- cocoa powder, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°, Gas 4.
- Heat the milk until boiling and stir in the coffee until dissolved.
- Combine the butter, Lyle’s Golden Syrup, Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar, flour, cocoa powder and eggs, with the coffee mixture in a bowl. Beat together with an electric whisk for about 1 minute until soft and creamy.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 18-20 minutes until well risen and they spring back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- For the topping, dissolve the coffee in the boiling water then stir in the Lyle’s Golden Syrup.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool. Peel off the paper cases, lightly poke all over with a fine skewer, then push the cakes down a little into the coffee cups. Drizzle over the coffee syrup mixture and leave to soak in for a few minutes.
- Lightly whip the cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Spoon on to the cakes and, using a small palette knife, lightly spread the cream to the edges of the cups. Spoon a little cocoa into a small sieve, place the coffee stencil on top of the cream and lightly dust with the cocoa. Repeat with the rest of the cakes, place on coffee saucers and serve.