Lyle's Luscious Carrot Cake
FOR THE CAKE
- 150ml (5floz) sunflower oil
- 150g (5oz) Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 150g (5oz) self-raising flour
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 1 rounded tsp cinnamon
- large pinch nutmeg
- 250g (9oz) carrots, peeled & coarsely grated to yield about 210g (7½oz)
- 50g (2oz) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) raisins
- 1 medium orange, zested
FOR THE ICING AND DECORATION
- 110g (4oz) Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing Sugar, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 25g (1oz) walnuts, roughly chopped
For the carrot cake everyone will love, just...
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160° Fan, 350°F, Gas 4 - while it heats up, whisk the oil and Lyle's Golden Syrup together and then beat in the eggs.
- Sift over the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and lightly fold in until smooth - then stir in the carrots, walnuts, raisins and orange zest.
- Pour the mixture into a 23cm lined or greased loaf tin. Bake on the middle shelf for 55-60 minutes (or until golden brown and a fine skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle).
- Leave for 30 minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Sift the Icing Sugar into a bowl and stir in the Lyle's Golden Syrup and orange juice to make a slightly thickened icing. Pour over the cake and scatter with the walnuts. When set, lightly dust with a little more Icing Sugar - and you're done.
Enjoy immediately, or keep for any occasion - this cake keeps well.