For the Pastry
1. Mix the flour, sugar and salt together. Cut the butter into cubes and rub into the flour until it resembles fine crumbs, then add the egg and mix. If more liquid is needed, add a teaspoon of cold water at a time until you have a soft dough, then cover and chill for 25 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C.
3. Roll out and line a tart tin with the pastry then add some baking paper and baking beans and blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking weights and bake for a further 8 minutes.
1. Add the butter and Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a pan and heat until the butter melts.
2. Add the freshly grated stem ginger, chopped stem ginger from a jar and 2 tablespoons of the syrup from the jar. Leave to cool.
3. Once cooled, add the orange juice, zest and cream and mix well. Then, add the egg and yolk and stir vigorously. Add a good pinch of salt, followed by the bread crumbs and stir until well incorporated.
4. Pour into the pre-baked tart case and bake for 20 minutes at 180C, then turn the oven down to 160C and bake for a further 20 minutes until set. Leave to cool before serving.