Lyle's Cracking Peanut Brittle
Enough for 10
- 60g unsalted butter
- 185g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 200g Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 200g salted peanuts
Create this cracking little treat:
- Pop the butter, Golden Caster Cane Sugar and water in a pan over a gentle heat. Keep stirring all the time, until the butter melts.
- Add the smooth warmth of Lyle's Golden Syrup and keep stirring over the heat until the sugar melts.
- Stir continuously and bring the sticky mixture back to a gentle boil.
- Test by dropping just a tiny bit into a small bowl of ice-cold water - if it immediately hardens, you're ready to add the peanuts. (If not, continue to boil and test again.)
- Pop in the peanuts and continue to stir. The little nuts will cool the syrup a little, so test again in more ice-cold water. When the brittle mixture hardens immediately in the water, it's ready.
- Carefully pour the mixture onto a lightly greased baking tray and leave to harden for about 30 minutes.
- The fun part: smash into pieces with a toffee hammer or with the handle of a heavy knife.
Enjoy immediately, or keep for any occasion - this cake keeps well.