Lyle's Chunky Golden Honeycomb
- 5 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 200g (7oz) Fairtrade Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar
- 2 rounded tsp bicarbonate of soda
HOW TO MAKE HONEYCOMB
Follow this 3-step basic honeycomb recipe for the ultimate taste explosion! When it comes to making honeycomb, it’s just a hop, skip and a jump to brew up these luscious chunks.
- Combine the Lyle's Golden Syrup and the Golden Caster Sugar in a large pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar melts. (Don't let it bubble until the grains have completely dissolved, then simmer on a low heat for 5-10 minutes until you have a gorgeous amber-coloured caramel.)
- Remove the pan from the heat, very quickly add the bicarbonate of soda and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is foaming. Immediately pour into a greased and lined 20cm (8”) brownie tin- where it should continue to bubble nicely.
- Leave to cool and set for about 1-2 hours until hard and brittle, then break into bite-size chunks.
- Crunch it up nice and small to add to ice cream - or leave it generously chunky to pick at when peckish!
- If stored in an airtight container, your honeycomb can last up to 1 month.
- Once you have added the bicarbonate of soda, the less you stir the honeycomb, the bigger the bubbles will be.
- If you dip your honeycomb into melted chocolate, you can effectively create your own crunchie!
- Honeycomb is great on top of pancakes, alongside yoghurts, or as an addition to fruit salads.