Lyle's Special Chocolate Sponge
- 330g (11½oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 330g (11½oz) Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 275g (10oz) self-raising flour
- 60g (2½oz) cocoa
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
(Chocolate butter cream)
- 110g (4oz) dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids, broken into squares
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 75g (3oz) Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 110g (4oz) Tate & Lyle Fair trade Icing Cane Sugar
To create the perfect moist chocolate cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°Fan, 350°F, Gas 4 and get whisking the butter and Lyle's Golden Syrup until soft and creamy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time (give each batch time to combine). It doesn't matter if the mixture curdles - all will be revealed.
- Sift over the flour, baking powder and cacao; lightly and quickly fold it in with a large metal spoon and then add the milk to make a soft consistency (so it easily drops from the spoon).
- Spoon the mixture into two 20cm (8) sandwich tins (greased and bases lined with parchment paper).
- Bake on the middle shelf for 30 minutes until well risen, (a fine skewer comes out clean from the centre, and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger). When ready, leave to stand for 20 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Ready for the chocolate butter cream? Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Leave to cool.
- Beat the butter and Lyle's Golden Syrup together in a mixing bowl and sift over the Icing Sugar until soft and smooth, then mix in the melted chocolate.
- Sandwich the cakes together with half the butter cream, then smooth the rest over the top. Beautiful - and ready to serve.
Only one thing to remember now - and that's to make sure you leave a slice for yourself!
Perfect Pancake Recipes
Pancake flipping pans at the ready...