Lyle's Blissful Banana Bread
- 350g Ripe bananas, peeled weight, (4-5 medium size)
- 2 Large eggs (beaten)
- 50g Unsalted butter (melted)
- 150g Lyle's Golden Syrup + 1 tbsp for glazing
- 185g Plain flour
- 2½ tsp Dr Oetker Gluten Free Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 60g Walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1 Medium orange (tested)
- 1 Large banana (peeled) for decoration
This is lovely for breakfast (or any time of day, to be honest) ... make it now!
1. Mash two-thirds of the banana to a smooth paste in a bowl, then add the rest, crushing into small chunks.
2. Preheat the oven to 170°C/150° Fan, 325°F, Gas 3 – while it’s warming up, combine the eggs, warm melted butter and Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a separate bowl, whisking until light and frothy.
3. Fold in the mashed bananas with a large metal spoon, sift over the flour, baking powder and salt. Lightly fold in, then add the walnuts and orange zest.
4. Spoon the soft mixture into a 900g (2lb) lined (or greased) loaf tin. Cut a final banana lengthways into thin slices, and arrange three on top of the cake mixture (go on; be creative).
5. Bake for 50 minutes on the middle shelf then cover with foil and bake for a further 10-20 minutes, until golden and springy in the centre (a fine skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean). Leave in the tin for 15 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Warm 1 tablespoon of Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a small pan and brush over the top of the banana bread.
7. Cut into generous, thick slices. Indulge.
Try blissful banana bread for brunch (or even breakfast for those morning smiles )