1. Heat the oven to 170C. Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin.
2. Place the butter, golden syrup and Tate & Lyle Soft Brown Sugar in a large heavy-based pan. Heat gently, stirring every so often, until the butter and sugar have just melted. This should take around 4 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the porridge oats, ground almonds and almond essence. Mix everything together using a wooden spoon. If the mixture looks a little dry add a drizzle more of Golden Syrup, or if it looks a little wet, sprinkle in a few more oats.
4. Tumble half the mixture into the prepared baking tin, using a spatula to smooth and level the surface. Dollop over the jam and spread to cover the oats, then tumble on the remaining oat mixture, smoothing the surface. Scatter over the flaked almonds.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden. Once cooked, leave to stand in the tray until completely cool. I sometimes pop it in the fridge to firm up.
6. Once set, use a sharp knife to cut into squares.