How to make apple crumble
Follow this 7-step easy apple crumble recipe and get ready to feel that delicious, warming feeling inside!
1. Create the crumble by combining the flour, butter and salt. Use a mixer to get coarse ‘breadcrumbs’ (you can also get stuck in by massaging it with your fingertips).
2. Mix in the Demerara and Golden Caster Sugar. Sprinkle over the water and stir through until you have a satisfyingly lumpy mixture.
3. Chill in the fridge - this will give the crumble that lovely 'craggy' topping.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180° Fan, 400°F, Gas 6. While it’s warming, layer the apples into a 1.6l (2¾pt) shallow baking dish. Sprinkle the cinnamon and drizzle the Lyle's Golden Syrup over the top, then toss everything together to evenly coat. Add the water.
5. Spoon your craggy topping lightly over the apples (don't smooth it down though; that crumbly texture is what you want).
6. Pop it on the middle shelf for 45-50 minutes - you'll know it's ready when the apples are tender (poke with a small fine skewer) and the topping is golden and bubbling.
7. Remove and allow to cool a little before serving.