Lyle's Chocolate and Pecan Tart
1 hr 10 mins
FOR THE PASTRY
- 175g plain flour + extra for rolling
- 40g unsalted butter, cubed
- 20g Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar
- 2¼ tbsp cold water
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 75g dark chocolate, minimum 70% solids, broken into squares
- 40g unsalted butter
- 225g Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 150g Tate & Lyle Granulated Sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 95g pecan nuts
FOR THE DECORATION
- 25g dark chocolate, minimum 70% solids, broken into squares
FOR THE CINNAMON CREAM
- 150ml double cream
- 40g Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- ½ level tsp cinnamon
- Combine the flour, butter, sugar and salt in a food processor bowl and quickly pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the water and briefly pulse until it comes together in a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a small non-stick pan over a very low heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir and set aside.
- In another small non-stick pan combine the golden syrup and sugar over a low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 minutes, stirring all the time. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, then whisk in the warm chocolate followed by the syrup mixture and set aside.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface, carefully line the tart tin, lightly prick the base and chill again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 170° Fan 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
- Line the tart with the parchment paper and cover the base with baking beans. Bake on the middle shelf for 12 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5-6 minutes to dry out the base.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C / 160° Fan 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- Pour the filling into the tart and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a skin forms on the surface. Remove, arrange the pecans on top (cooking it like this prevents the nuts from sinking), return to the oven and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until set. Remove and leave to cool for 1 hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a small non-stick pan over a low heat or in the microwave and cool a little.
- Lightly whisk the cream in a bowl until soft peaks form, marble in the golden syrup and cinnamon, then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Lift the tart out of its tin, place on a serving dish, dust with icing sugar, then, using a teaspoon, drizzle over the chocolate and serve with the cinnamon cream.