Lyle's Elegant Golden Scones
- 30g (1¼oz) Lyle's Golden Syrup, plus 1 tbsp for brushing
- 295g (10½oz) self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting & dipping
- 30g (1¼oz) Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Syrup Cane Sugar
- 120ml (4floz) milk
- 120ml (4floz) single cream
- Jam & clotted or whipped cream, to serve
Bake up these blissful scones:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160° Fan, 350°F, Gas 4 and gently warm the 30g (1¼oz) of Lyle's Golden Syrup in a small pan until softened.
- Combine the flour and Golden Syrup Sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the centre, then pour in the warm Lyle's Golden Syrup, milk and cream. Quickly and lightly mix until just combined. (The mixture will be deliciously sticky.)
- Turn out onto a floured surface - no need to roll, just gently pat the dough into a rectangular shape with the well-floured palms of your hands. You are looking for dough about 2cm (¾") thick. The less you handle the scone dough the lighter the end result.
- Dip a 6cm (2½") plain cutter into a small bowl of flour before stamping out the scones. Press the cutter down without twisting or the scones will rise unevenly. Place set apart on a baking tray lined with silicone or parchment paper. Lightly reform any trimmings to make more scones.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 15-18 minutes (or 12-15 minutes if making 5cm [2"] smaller scones) until well risen and golden. Remove to a wire rack.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Lyle's Golden Syrup in a small pan and use it to brush the tops of the scones.
- When cooled, split and serve with cream and Lyle's Golden Syrup or jam.
These scones are also great if you serve them just slightly warm (don't forget the clotted cream and jam or add Lyle's Golden Syrup for a change)...