Lyle's Elegant Golden Scones
- 30g (1¼oz) Lyle's Golden Syrup, plus 1 tbsp for brushing
- 295g (10½oz) self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting & dipping
- 30g (1¼oz) Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Syrup Cane Sugar
- 120ml (4floz) milk
- 120ml (4floz) single cream
- Jam & clotted or whipped cream, to serve
Bake up these blissful scones:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160° Fan, 350°F, Gas 4 and gently warm the 30g (1¼oz) of Lyle's Golden Syrup in a small pan until softened.
- Combine the flour and Golden Syrup Sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the centre, then pour in the warm Lyle's Golden Syrup, milk and cream. Quickly and lightly mix until just combined. (The mixture will be deliciously sticky.)
- Turn out onto a floured surface - no need to roll, just gently pat the dough into a rectangular shape with the well-floured palms of your hands. You are looking for dough about 2cm (¾") thick. The less you handle the scone dough the lighter the end result.
- Dip a 6cm (2½") plain cutter into a small bowl of flour before stamping out the scones. Press the cutter down without twisting or the scones will rise unevenly. Place set apart on a baking tray lined with silicone or parchment paper. Lightly reform any trimmings to make more scones.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 15-18 minutes (or 12-15 minutes if making 5cm [2"] smaller scones) until well risen and golden. Remove to a wire rack.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Lyle's Golden Syrup in a small pan and use it to brush the tops of the scones.
- When cooled, split and serve with cream and jam.
These scones are also great if you serve them just slightly warm (don't forget the clotted cream and jam) ...