Lyle's Lemon Drizzle Cake
FOR THE CAKE
- 250g Self-raising flour
- 75g Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 115g Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Dr Oetker Baking Powder
- 115g Soft margarine or butter
- 2 Medium eggs
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 1 Large lemon, grated zest
FOR THE DRIZZLE
- 2 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
- Rind of 1 lemon (cut into strips)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Grease and line 900g/2lb loaf tin. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/gas 4.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add the soft margarine or butter, Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar, Lyle’s Golden Syrup, eggs, milk and lemon zest, then beat together until well mixed and smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Place in the oven and cook for 40-45 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack
- Gently warm the Lyle’s Golden Syrup, lemon juice and lemon strips in a pan.
- Make small holes in the top of the loaf with a skewer and pour in the drizzle, leaving the lemon rind to settle on top of the loaf.