The best of both worlds, these Bakewell Flapjacks bring two Classic British Bakes together in one delicious recipe!
- 225g butter, plus a little extra for greasing 225g butter, plus a little extra for greasing
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup 6 tablespoons golden syrup
- 110g soft brown sugar 110g soft brown sugar
- 375g porridge oats 375g porridge oats
- 3 tablespoons ground almonds 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon almond essence ½ teaspoon almond essence
- 4 heaped tablespoons of jam of your choice (cherry or raspberry work well) 4 heaped tablespoons of jam of your choice (cherry or raspberry work well)
- A handful flaked almonds A handful flaked almonds
How to make this recipe
1. Heat the oven to 170C. Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin.
2. Place the butter, golden syrup and brown sugar in a large heavy-based pan. Heat gently, stirring every so often, until the butter and sugar have just melted. This should take around 4 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the porridge oats, ground almonds and almond essence. Mix everything together using a wooden spoon.
4. Tumble half the mixture into the prepared baking tin, using a spatula to smooth and level the surface. Dollop over the jam and spread to cover the oats, then tumble on the remaining oat mixture, smoothing the surface. Scatter over the flaked almonds.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until golden. Once cooked, leave to stand in the tray until completely cool. I sometimes pop it in the fridge to firm up.
6. Once set, use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
The flapjacks can be stored in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.